Sunday 4 October 2020

Dead Drunk Detective: Made Off With His Head

This post contains spoilers for 'Made Off With His Head'.

As a comedy show about a zombie, I believe we were legally obligated to make a joke using the phrase 'braaaaaains'.

Kate's incoherent mumbling is a joy.

Santa sharing duties with the Grim Reaper is an idea I originally deployed in a flash fiction a few years prior. Like Reba Cage, his identity was revealed by throwing back the reaper's cowl.

Mark J's line reading of 'GASP. The Pumpkin!' was a particular favourite among the cast and producers. We reference it often. I make sure to bring him back each series to play equally melodramatic characters.

I make no secret of my love of Scooby Doo. This episode's unmasking of the perp was my way of emulating the show.

To clarify to the live audience what was going on, Dan (fake Grim Reaper) and Cat (Reba Cage) shared a mic. I think the former even wore a hood that he threw back at the crucial moment.

In an earlier version of the script, Reba reveals she hid Grim under her bed, then took his cloak so she could impersonate him. This was dropped as I would have had to clarify what is actually underneath the cowl - bones or a ghost. Johnny's initial query to the Reaper regarding that matter remained in the final draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment