Wednesday 14 October 2020

Dead Drunk Detective: Deface Off

 

This post covers 'Deface Off', an episode of long-running podcast Betty. You can listen to it here.

Occasionally a joke made by the cast during a recording session will inspire a script idea. In this case, a Betty-centric episode was first suggested in an improvised edition of the show.

To publicise our second series, some of the cast staged a ten minute live set at the inaugural Hoopla Improv Marathon. During the adventure, Kate (as Betty) joked that she was to "spinoff out of the office".

It's not the only project that has been pitched to me by the cast - David and Lizzy suggested a show called My Son The Zombie. While I'm grateful that people find working on the series so much fun that they would love to do more, I currently don't have the capacity to write a second show alongside Dead Drunk Detective. I liked the premise of a Betty-centric mystery though, so produced this episode.

In a nod to his feigned illness, Arfie adopts a sniffy bunged up voice for Johnny's theme tune monologue and first voiceover,

Is this the first time it is mentioned Johnny wears a hat? Certainly the zombie in the podcast title card is pictured with one, but I do not believe I have never made a reference to what Stumbles' outfit looks like.

Unsure whether it was covered by parody law, I previously avoided making an explicit reference to Pennywise. In this episode, I directly namecheck the babadook.

No comments:

Post a Comment