Friday 17 January 2020

How to Create a Scripted Podcast: Three Quick Tips

When I first started working on Dead Drunk Detective back in 2016, I had a couple of scripts, a vague desire to be on Radio 4, and an excellent producer in Podcast Pioneers. Four series later and I still have all of these, but with a little additional knowledge about how to create a show.

While few of you will be looking to produce a zombie noir sitcom (at least, I hope not or else we will be direct competitors), some people may be curious about how to start their own show. Which is why I thought I would share what I have learnt.

Here are my three quick tips for creating a scripted podcast. I am aware everyone's creative process is different, so, rather than get specific (“day one: what's the title?”), I have opted for general advice.


Plan stuff in advance but give yourself the freedom to discover things along the way.

Before I write episodes in full, I know each Case Of The Week that will solved by the detective. I will also have planned the overall season arc and have vague notions about the nature of the challenge posed by this year’s Big Baddie. However, the identity of that villain is usually something I discover organically. Maybe a character is so fun to write for that I want to bring them back. Perhaps their encounter with the protagonist in an earlier episode gives them a logical motive to want to bring about his downfall.

So, while I am a huge fan of planning and structuring scripts before you write them, the outline should be a safety net, not a cage.

Keep the amount of voices in a scene to a minimum.

While writing, you should be focusing on the script’s contents, but you must also remember to keep one eye on how it will eventually be produced.

Think what the recording setup in the room may be. You will probably be working with a small number of microphones, so scenes with a lot of voices will require cast to share or step in and out of range. While mildly impractical, you could make it work – producers can edit out any pauses or awkward shuffling – but if the script calls for too much of this, it could throw off the rhythm of the acting.

Characters with only a few lines – say, a waiter in a café scene – should be cut or be played by someone already in the cast.

Don’t announce the show until you’re late into the production process. 

This is just a personal rule of mine. Partly, it’s to do with ego - if a project collapses, then people won’t know you’ve failed - but it also means you can keep people engaged. Announcing the Thing close to its release date means your potential audience remember that it’s coming and know when to look for it. It’s easier to sustain momentum and excitement with ‘episodes start on Monday!’ than ‘new series coming Autumn 2021!’. Make your show a lovely surprise.


That's all of my advice. Best of luck to anyone creating a show! Unless it's about an inebriated undead sleuth. In which case, I'll see you in court.

No comments:

Post a Comment