Sunday 4 October 2020

Dead Drunk Detective: Lost a Bett

This blog post features spoilers for episode seven of Dead Drunk Detective. You can listen to 'Lost a Bett' here.

There are multiple reasons I find 'Lost a Bett' particularly satisfying. It was the first finale. I managed to tie in so many plots and characters from previous episodes. I gave an actor a direction which made them deliver a line exactly as I had imagined it in my head (specifically, I asked Leanna to speak to the passer-by in the tone you would use to comfort a child).

However, what I appreciate most is the reaction of the live audience. Specifically, the lack of one. The crowd is particularly quiet throughout this episode. I like to think this is not due to the script being light on jokes (Johnny and Melissa certainly exchange a few zingers). Instead, I believe it is because they are invested in the story. They care that Betty is safe. As a writer, I cannot express how sweet it is to know people are interested in characters you wrote.

That said, I find it very funny how long Melissa and Johnny leave Betty gagged after the Invisible Man is taken away. They spent the entire episode looking for her, but then bicker instead of untying her.

The final scene leaves open the possibility that his sister may join the team permanently. I ultimately decided against it as giving Johnny someone to join him at crime scenes could render Betty superfluous. More people from Johnny's life outside of sleuthing would turn up though. That, however, would have to wait until series two...

No comments:

Post a Comment